G-Tech Hp Meter Update

ptimmerm at mashtun.JPL.NASA.GOV ptimmerm at mashtun.JPL.NASA.GOV
Wed Jul 17 19:58:49 GMT 1996

I have made some an initial evaluation of the
G-Tech acceleration meter in my Audi.  I have
found that it is relatively easy to use,
and is probably worth the money, but there are
some drawbacks. I will discuss these below.

It can measure 0-60 time, 1/4 mile trap time
and speed, 60-0 times, instantaneous horsepower,
and either instantaneous or continuous lateral
acceleration.  That is alot for $140.00.

Here are the hitches.  All power/speed tests must begin
from a stop, and be performed on level roads for good
accuracey. In addition, the horsepower measurement, which
is my main interest, is difficult (underestimates) in
anything other than low gears.  The effect of wind
resistance is included in the sensed figure, and
so a third gear run has lots of drag, and a serious
underestimate.  My particular car has lots of turbo lag
and doesn't really get going in the lower gears, as I
have to shift to quickly.

I have not really tested all of the modes, such as braking
and lateral acceleration, but assume they work well.

paul timmerman