68HC11, ready to go.

Darrell Norquay dnorquay at awinc.com
Fri Jul 19 04:32:29 GMT 1996

At 06:11 PM 7/18/96 PDT, Matthew wrote:

>What would be the cheapest and easiest way for me to get a Motorola 68HC11
>in the following state.  Some advice to documentation for low-level use
>would be appreciated.

Contact a company called:

   Technological Arts.

   309 Aragona Blvd.              1644 Bayview Ave.
   Ste 102-418                    Ste 1704
   Virginia Beach VA 23462        Toronto, Ontario, Canada M4G 3C2

They have a really nifty little development system for about $75 US which is
a very small (2x3") board containing an 'HC811E2 2K EEPROM version of the
'HC11, along with oscillator, RS232 port, analog reference, reset logic,
programming mode switches, regulator (with VPP supply), and a 50 pin header
which brings out all signals from the processor.  The header can be got in
several versions, most notable of which are a .3" wide version which plugs
vertically into a solderless breadboard for prototyping, and a standard
right angle dip header which you can plug into an expansion board or
motherboard of your own design.  You can also program 711E9 OTP's or
windowed EPROM versions with the board.

The great thing about this board is that it comes with all the software you
need to program it right from a PC serial port, including the Motorola
freeware assembler.  No more erasing UV EPROM parts, (even if you could get
them) or buying expensive PROM burners.  Takes about 90 seconds to program
the entire 2K. I believe they are coming out with an expanded version with
8K of EEPROM, along with the port expander so you can run it in either
single chip mode or expanded mux and still retain all the original port
pins.  I use mine a lot for software development, the nice thing is once you
are done, just plug the thing into your target board and you have a complete
system.  Get the pink 'HC11 reference manual from Motorola or one of it's
reps, and you're all set.

As far as remapping for expanded multiplexed mode, it's as simple as
changing the 2 mode jumpers on the processor from single chip mode to EM
mode.  You can't have it both ways, however, if you run in EM mode you lose
16 port pins.  (Well, there IS a way to do it, with the 68HC24 Port
Replacement Unit from Motorola).
Hope this helps.

regards
dn