water injection questions

Michael D. Porter mdporter at rt66.com
Sun Jul 21 07:12:14 GMT 1996

Ryan Harrell wrote:

> I was reading my friend's Car Craft from 1980 and noticed an article
> involving water injection to reduce detonation.  My question is: What
> happened to this wonderful idea?  I saw an ad toward the back of the
> magazine in which Edelbrock that was selling their Vari-Injection
> system. However, such a system is not in their catalog anymore, nor can
> I find any mention of water injection in my current magazines.

Others may certainly have their theories about the demise of water
injection, but my favorite story concerning same is one my father has
told off and on for 40 years.  When we lived in Houston, in the early
`50s, we had a neighbor who had a new Buick, and worked at Ellington AFB;
his thinking went thus:  if water injection is useful for jet engines,
why wouldn't it be useful for automobile engines?  Roughly the same
principles, right?  He rigged up a separate tank and pump for water
injection into the manifold of this new Buick.  And raved about the
performance improvements.  Until his wife took the car out, left the
switch on (he'd wired it to battery, not ignition), and the engine filled
up with water overnight.  Came out the next morning, turned it over, and
bent most every rod in the engine.

It could be things like that which have queered people on water
injection, although I'll be the first to admit, while laughing at stories
such as the above, there's some sense to the principle, and new
technology and a little common sense would make it both reliable and
workable.  But the same principles which apply to turbine engines apply
to piston engines... fluorides in tap water can do amazing damage to
titanium alloys in jet engines, and can probably be nearly as corrosive
to aluminum pistons over longer periods of time.  Too much injected water
can probably extinguish flame fronts and kill performance.  Water/alcohol
mixtures can probably be even more corrosive.  My guess is, in answer to
your question, that water and water/alcohol injection came to be more
trouble than it was worth.
Cheers.