water injection questions

Mike Jankowski janmik at das.gov.au
Sun Jul 21 23:46:27 GMT 1996

I have used water/methanol mix on a 1985 mazda 323 turbo with good results.
The water injection is only on when the turbo has reached full boost and the
throttle ismore than 3/4 open. The water/methanol is injected into the
airstream past after the air filter and allowed to flow through the turbo.
We used a small electric motor, pressure regulator and a adjustable jet.
The injection is switched on by using a pressure switch on the plenum and a
microswitch on the throttle.
The performance increase is very noticable, almost as good as a cold foggy
morning.
In very cold weather the water/methanol injection is not used because of the
intake manifold icing up too quickly.

This is a very simple and effective setup for a tubo car, but it would not
be too hard to use the duration of the injector pulse to control the amount
of water injected.  A second input from the temperature sender to determine
when the motor is cold would also be required to prevent the water injection
from being used when the motor is cold.

Mike

At 01:05 AM 21/07/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I was reading my friend's Car Craft from 1980 and noticed an article
>involving water injection to reduce detonation.  My question is: What
>happened to this wonderful idea?  I saw an ad toward the back of the
>magazine in which Edelbrock that was selling their Vari-Injection
>system. However, such a system is not in their catalog anymore, nor can
>I find any mention of water injection in my current magazines.

Mike Jankowski                                     Phone:     61 6 243 6966

Network Manager                                    Fax:       61 6 243 6360
Department of Administrative Services              email: janmik at das.gov.au