water injection questions

Robert E. Yorke yorker at deltanet.com
Mon Jul 22 23:50:51 GMT 1996

I believe both sets of remarks in response to my post are correct; the
primary effect of water injection IS a lowering of the temperature, which
I think DOES have the consequence of a slower burn rate.  Slower because
each droplet of fuel has to vaporize before it can combust; I've read
that liquid gasoline is non-flammable; only it's vapors can enter into
combustion.

That was THE primary problem with all those incessant attempts in the
'70s to find a way to successfully vaporize gasoline (i.e.) effectively
AND safely; since gasoline is a mixture/compound of I think over 400
elements, the more volatile ones vaporize real fast so you quickly wind
up with an uncontollable burn. As I recall, the presence of an extremely
rapid and uncontrolled burn process defines the word EXPLOSION.

By the way, I'm a little puzzled.  My original post was a response to
someone on fiero|net to their question about the availability of water
injection, and who sells it; how did everything squirt over to DIY?