water injection questions

Robert Yorke yorker at deltanet.com
Tue Jul 23 08:17:40 GMT 1996

At 10:43 PM 7/22/96 PDT, you wrote:
>At 08:38 PM 7/21/96 -0700, you wrote:
snipped

Your use of Acetone with the Water-Methanol mixture sounds interesting;  I
intend buying the Spearco kit for my toy.  I'm trying to get the last bit of
(Hopefully) reliable power out of an '88GT Fiero which has a bored/stroked
3.2L w/T3 intercooled turbo at 10lbs of boost.  When I finally get the proper
injector sizing figured out and the PROM calibrated I want to be as
confident as I can that the damned thing will hold together (This time!), so
I'd like to try the Acetone-Water-Methanol as a final.  Can you remember
what kinds of flow rates you were using?

My ultimate goal is to obliterate another nearby member of the Fiero bunch
who has an LT-1 stuffed into HIS toy!

A major problem is I haven't been able to reverse engineer the machine code
that the Fiero computer uses, to re-program it myself, and there are very
few non-high-dollar guys around who have the smarts to do it....

I remember the Turbo Spyders; but had forgotten they provided water
injection with that car!

>Try Acetone.  It works even better than methanol.  Mixes with water as well.
>I used to run 25% methanol, 25% acetone, and 50% water.  Worked really well.
>It was a little on the expensive side, though, turned out to be cheaper to
>just run octane boost.
>
>>If anybody tries this, be extremely careful.  If you forget to keep the tank
>>filled and you don't have sophisticated controls to either tell you of this
>>or to shut the advance curve down to stock when there is no injection taking
>>place, you will cause yourself a problem....
>
>Reminds me of the old Corvair Turbo Spyder's.  (Original application of the
>"turbo" muffler).  They came from the factory with water injection, trouble
>was everybody forgot to fill the reservoir.  That's one reason why they are
>almost impossible to find anymore...
>

>regards
>dn
>dnorquay at awinc.com