MAF Reading at cold temp?

Markus Strobl eusmsrt at exu.ericsson.se
Tue Jul 23 17:49:57 GMT 1996

I'm new to the list so forgive me if this is old stuff...

I have a '96 Z28 that has the OBD-II compliant PCM. One of the
new diagnostics on the 96 is a MAF diagnostics. If the MAF reads
higher than 293 G/S for more than 1 second it will set off a
trouble code and switch to speed density.

I had some mishaps with my car. First the heads fell off and then
some material mysteriously vanished from the intake and exhaust
ports... When I got it all back together it was faster... And
gulps alot more air.

I measured it in the Texas heat (MAT of 109F!!) and I have a peak
of 283 G/S, with more than 262 G/S the last 300rpm before the revlimiter.

My question is: Can someone tell me how much these readings will increase
when temps drop? Say to 50F? Will the MAF diagnostics fail?

Thanks
Markus Strobl      96 Z28 6M Black.   Borla, !CAGS, 1LE shaft, B&M Shifter
Dallas, Texas      1.6 rockers, ported heads, Swaybars, SFC, Crane Springs
F-member 9/93      No times since latest mods               27.5mpg @85mph