spark advance curve modification

Dave Zug dzug at ed.cecil.cc.md.us
Wed Jul 24 01:47:56 GMT 1996

I have a turbo car (8.7:1 compression, 91 octane required) with a GMP4
ECM. I KNOW where the spark curves are on the eeprom, my question is:

can someone give a description of a baseline tequnique i can use to
modify the spark table for "mild/medium" performance increase?

example: increase advance for the lower load lines 1-2 defress, and the
upper load lines 3-4 deg,  or increase beginning of all lines 1 degree,
middle of lines 2-3 degrees and ends of lines 1-2 degrees..

engine is MAP controlled, not MAF and HAS ELECTRONIC SPARK CONTROL with
knock sensor.. can i rely in knock sensor to protect against possible
over-advance on eeprom if i accidently use a "FA" insted of "2A" ?

sorry if i left out vital info for an answer, i'll revise it with any
requested info and re-mail if so.

thanks.

dave