water injection questions

Robert Yorke yorker at deltanet.com
Wed Jul 24 05:56:47 GMT 1996

Tony:  As I read this, I believe you are correct.  I've  been trying to
refer to my little "Bible" regarding automotive gasoline (The FAQ
"Automotive Gasoline" by Bruce Hamilton; posted to several usenet groups on
a monthly basis) in an effort to either refute you or agree with you, and I
can't find his definition of knock!  However, I believe you're right...
WAIT, I just found it:

"The octane rating of the fuel reflects the ability of the unburnt end gases
to resist spontaneous autoignition under the engine test conditions used.
If autoignition occurs, it results in an extremely rapid pressure rise, as
both the desired spark-initiated flame front, and the undesired autoignited
end gas flames are expanding.  The combined pressure peak arrives slightly
ahead of the normal operating pressure peak, leading to a loss of power and
eventual overheating.  The end gas pressure waves are superimposed on the
main pressure wave, leading to a sawtooth pattern of pressure oscillations
that create the knocking sound"

You are correct; I was wrong...