Water injection questions

David.Haynes at roke.co.uk David.Haynes at roke.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 07:15:48 GMT 1996

I remember a discussion of this subject about a year ago on this group. Someone
posted an example of the dangers of running the tank dry, mentioning (I think) a
240Z Datsun with turbo and water injection. Running out of water on the strip
resulted in the 'usual' meltdown, but also a crankcase oil fire !

How much benefit might be produced in a non-turbo, stock motor. I'm think purely
of the charge cooling and increased charge mass. Could this produce significant
gains used with enrichment at WOT? Roughly how much water would be required per
volume of air? How much ignition advance would be required ?

I have the idea of messing about with a DIY system, since without a turbo or
serious engine mods, there should be no danger of serious damage if the flow
stops.

I dont know about filling the engine with water as was mentioned the other day,
but I have had the cylinders filled with petrol, due to water in the flywheel
sensor. It oscillated when wet, and the ECU believed that 8000rpm was dialled
in, while the engine was lumping along at 750rpm. At the inevitable stall, so
much fuel was injected that hydraulic lock resulted and the engine could not be
cranked. The solution was to take the plugs out and walk home, to wait for the
fuel and water to evaporate!

Dave Haynes