EFI control units

Orin Harding NAMGBR at msn.com
Wed Jul 24 18:44:49 GMT 1996

Mike,
I have been using the TEC II made by Electromotive on my '79 MGB and it works
well. This ECU provides not only fueling control but also direct ignition
control.  The coils are supplied with the ECU and you do away with all of your
old distributor, etc.  You'll have to mount a crankshaft timing wheel,
probably on the harmonic balancer, and sensor.  Other sensors are water temp,
air temp, throttle position, O2, and MAP or MAF sensors. There is an output to
control a GM style idle air control motor. The biggest drawback to this unit
is it's cost. Basic ECU for 6 cyl, with no sensors, is $1030.00 and the
software another $300 to $500 depending on which version you get.  To use a
MAF sensor you'll need the $500 version.  Sequential injection is available
for an additional $250.

I have tried both MAF and MAP and found that MAP was a lot easier to install
and get running OK.  You'll find that MAF sensing adds to the overall system
hardware complexity especially the intake.  You have to be very careful not to
have any air leaks at any point after the MAF sensor with straight runs of
pipe upstream and downstream of the sensor. As I said, MAP is a lot easier.

If you're not in a hurry, I've found a unit in England, currently under
development,  that should sell for about $1000 and will have the same features
as the TEC II plus adaptive fuel control.  I'll be seeing the manufacturer
next month and hope to bring a unit back with me then.  I'll post a note here
regarding the unit.