water injection questions???

Robert E. Yorke yorker at deltanet.com
Wed Jul 24 22:49:07 GMT 1996

Paul:  What kind of setup do you use for your "Intercooler sprayer"?  Is it
some form of spray applied to the internal water conduits inside the body of
your intercooler (I assume you're referring to an air-to-water vice
air-to-air intercooler).  Could you please provide the results of your
measurements of improvement?

I'm using an air-to-water intercooler, mounted in the trunk to keep it away
from the heat (It's a Fiero), and while that necessitated a little extra
length to the air ducts, it hasn't caused any noticeable delay in the onset
of boost.  The reservoir tank is in the trunk too, with a marine pump at the
bottom driving water from the tank to the intercooler to a motorcycle
radiator back to the tank.  During boost the delta T is around 60 degrees;
with some needed insulation for the intercooler-to-throttle body tube it may
get a little better.  With some form of sprayer, it may get a lot better....

At 08:50 AM 7/24/96 -0700, you wrote:

Snipped
>Water does do more than just cool it.  I think the original post said
>that cooling was the major effect.  I would not argue that point.
>I will again add that steam is an anti-detonant, and that you can run
>much higher boost levels without detonation with water or water methanol
>than with fuel enrichment.  There is a big difference.  I seem to
>remember numbers like 10% higher cylinder pressures without detonation
>with 50/50 water methanol.  The other point to be repeated is that most
>of us don't have unlimited fuel delivery capability.  And since you
>dont need to enrichen the mixture with water present, you can run
>stronger without leaning out.  This is a big deal with OEM turbo
>fuel injected apps.  Stepping down from soap box.  Personally I
>don't run it so that will blow up if I run dry, and there is still
>a big effect.  But I also run intercooler sprayers at the same time.
>they both have very nice effects (measured).
>
>paul timmerman

Riverside, CA
2 '88 GTs!