water injection questions???

ptimmerm at mashtun.JPL.NASA.GOV ptimmerm at mashtun.JPL.NASA.GOV
Thu Jul 25 15:30:09 GMT 1996

>Paul:  What kind of setup do you use for your "Intercooler sprayer"?

I have experimented with both water injection and intercooler spraying.

The intercooler spraying is a rail with two spray nozzles mounted in
the noze facia, pointing at the air to air intercooler. I run some
plastic pipe up from the trunk, tie wrapped to the underside of the car.
The trunk has a 5 gallon stainless tank and a CO2 tank and reg.

What I have noticed in testing is that with repeated runs, I normally
see a quick tail off in performance, becuase my intercooler is heating up.
I am moving slowely and sometime stop breifly between runs.  The
first run will start with 20c ambient air, peak IC input of maybe 120c,
and peak output of 60c air.  The next run I might get 150c from the turbo
and 80c air from the intercooler. This results in 5-10% reduction in power.
If I run the sprayer, I can run cooler runs, like my first example repeatedly.
As long as the water holds out.

My best results are runing concurrent IC spraying and water injection.
I run the water sprayer down stream of the IC, thus giving one more
cooling shot.  I control the system by using turbo air output temperature,
becuase it heats up fast and I turn both on above about 65C.

I like the idea for a water to air IC, cuase you get around my heatup
problem.  I don't want to do the necessary mods to make that happen in
my car, (yet?).

I can point you toward some sprayers in the McMaster Carr catalog.
I don't have it here right now but email me if you want them.

paul timmerman