Rock apes and Elecrromotive

talltom talltom at teleport.com
Sun Jul 28 20:26:55 GMT 1996

>From: Fred Miranda <fcmtb at ix.netcom.com>

>Being a race car builder does not make someone a qualified stereo
>installer. Installing an aftermarket efi system doesn't require much more
>skill than doing a high end stereo install. Many mechanics couldn't
>properly install a stereo, so how could one expect them to do an efi
>system?

Well I've never met anything that I'd call a mechanic that couldn't install
a stereo. Personally about the highest end one I've monkeyed with was
on a v-12 jag that had 6-8 speakers if i remember right. And it's still
working fine, I didn't have instructions, and I didn't burn it up either.

>As far as getting one going, all it takes is some common sense and
>patience.

Which any mechanic that's any good has, if the desire is there.

>>   I've also heard from many diferent sources that even if you
>>get them to work initially(no small challenge) the longevity is
>>frequently less than 2 yrs.
>>   So folks, this guy should show you how bad you can be and still
>>be successful in this field.
>
>Based on your experience, who in the field offers better value,reliability
>and ease of installation/tuning?

This is the only outfit I've heard anything I'd call justifyable complaints
about. I have some reservedness about a couple of others based on past
performance
of other products, but nothing specific.

>>   From what I hear when he shows up at the specialty equip.
>>manufacturers assn. people gang up on him to argue.
>
>This doesn't surprise me, due to their lack of tact on the phone, but
>it is probably just those incompetents that shouldn't have bought the
>system in the first place.
>
>Fred

Well you can call it incompetance if you like, but the same person has
successfully
installed many other electronic control systems without problems. As far as the
people who shouldn't have bought the system in the first place, it would
seem to me
that the object of the system is to save people the time, effort, and knowledge
necessary to build their own from scratch, and the closer it comes to the goal
of being plug and play, the wider market segment it will appeal to. Being as
I doubt they do this for exercise it wouldn't seem unfathomable that they might
attempt to make it user friendly to serve their own pocket book.