OBD-II toothed wheels for crankshaft position sensing

Lamari, Matthew MLAMARI at origin.ea.com
Mon Jul 29 21:19:54 GMT 1996

I participated in the construction of an ECU that fully controlled the
ignition (didn't get to fuel) of a car.  We drove the thing around and all
was cool.  It comprised an advance table.  The crank sensor wheel had 2
sensors on it, that is, an event was generated every half rev.

When to actually spark was done relative to this.  Knowing in time base the
advance to use in a situation corresponded to delays from this point, which
use of interrupts could catch in time (the thing ran as well as with its
archaic stock ignition.)

We were also going to implement a backup mode whereby the system could run
with only one functional.  But what we had was effectively a 2 tooth wheel.
 Position in the cycle can be guessed from the time since the last signal
and the wheel's effective speed, or time to reach a position predicted.  Of
course, acceleration and deceleration make the previously measured speed
inaccurate; but the wheel is spinning so fast and accelerating so
comparitively slowly that the difference from one sample to the next isn't
that great.

Okay, we had output compare functionality on the microprocessor to spark
right on time.

I don't know where my colleague got his hands on this sensor (magnetic) but
are they available?

And what is the benefit of the many (50+) toothed sensor?  Is it durability
without maintenance, simplification of hardware, or is there some benefit
which I am missing?

Thanks.
Matthew Lamari,
mlamari at origin.ea.com