Proper Mixture.

tom sparks sparks at probe.net
Tue Jul 30 16:11:44 GMT 1996

John:

Here is a web page that will probably answer some of your questions about
the O2 sensor:

http://ram.chem.tulane.edu:8080/f-body/trivia/o2sensor.html

 From what I've been able to gather, the O2 sensor found on modern cars is
really only good for a narrow band of A/F ratios,  so narrow in fact that it
is really only able to tell you if you are over or under the optimum.  Again
from what I've gathered, this is used to adjust the injector pulse width
slightly until the mix is a little too far the other way.  So, the A/F mix
hovers close to stoich but never really stays on stoich too long.

Nother thing.  The O2 sensor is some distance from the injector and what is
going on between the two places may bear no relation to either of them.  In
other words, the O2 sensor tells you what already happened some time ago and
the system is left to make some sense of it in real time.

BTW, what injectors are you using for a motor that small and what kinds of
rail pressures are you using?

Best regards,
Thomas Sparks