Color Tune

Andrei G. Chichak agc at mercury.uah.ualberta.ca
Tue Jul 30 17:34:44 GMT 1996

At 08:45 7/30/96, Hans Hintermaier wrote:
>John Dammeyer wrote:
><I have a color tune spark plug and I can use it to set
><idle mixture by looking through the quartz window in the sparkplug and
><adjusting for blue ignition;  too rich is yellow/orange
>
>Can anybody tell me something about the colortune spark plug ?
>(manufactor, price) I know it only as glow plug for model engines and
>have never heared about spark plugs with the same feature.
>Thanks
>Hans
>hiha@ brain.nefo.med.uni-muenchen.de
>Munich / Germany

You see, John knows what he is talking about since he has two color tunes
(hi boss).  A color tune is made in the UK by a company called Gunson.  It
replaces your spark plug during your testing, has a quartz glass window
that the centre electrode passes through.  When the mixture in the cylinder
burns you can see the color of the flame.  They are available at specialty
shops like Moss Motors in US or MiniMania, Se7en Enterprises, or other brit
bits places.  Last time I bought one I paid about $CDN40 (which is about a
buck and a half US these days :-)

I have used this beast to tune my Mini, VW Rabbit GTi (with O2 sensor
disabled), rototiller, and 2 cycle lawnmower (the color changes slightly
due to the oil).

Aaach, they're brilliant.  Go out and buy one, and a Volvo 850 as well.

Andrei Chichak                   | Information Systems
agc at mercury.uah.ualberta.ca      | University of Alberta Hospitals
(403) 492 - 4431 (work)          | CSB 8-120
(403) 492 - 3090 (fax)           | 8440 112 Street  Edmonton, Alberta
http://cooper-s.uah.ualberta.ca  | CANADA  T6G 2B7