water injection questions

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Tue Jul 30 23:52:57 GMT 1996

At 10:39 PM 7/24/96 -0400, you wrote:

>>How would GM EST react to this situation? On my 89 TPI set up, I noticed
>>that after running high octane fuel for a week and then switching to the
>>cheap stuff, if I floored the throttle I would hear a few detonations and
>>the check engine light would come on. Code 43 EST. After two or three times
>>of this, it would start working normally. Does it take the ECM this long to
>>adjust.
>>
>>GMD
>
>No.  The ECM does not adjust (as in learn) at all in this application.  But
>it should not get the error code 43.  Is the wire shorted?  This error would
>indicate one of two things.  Either it never knocks, or it senses knock all
>the time.....
>
>Scot Sealander   FIScot at aol.com

Scott, the wire is definitly not shorted. The system works as it should
except as noted above. I've been burning the cheap stuff continously now for
several months. I have had no EST or ESC related codes and I punch it
frequently. "... hard acceleration reduces frustration...!". The situation I
presented is accurate, I'm just not sure of the reason. Mabey the ECM
expected to hear detonation at a certain condition and set a code as a
result. I could definitly hear the detanation (sounded like a handfull of
bolts in an empty can). After the code set, the ECM would not advance the
timing (full throttle advance) untill engine shutdown. I believe this
because, if you nailed it again, power would be down and no knock could be
herd. ?????

GMD