watercooled VW EFI Q's

Brad Martin btm at usa.nai.net
Tue Mar 5 03:34:45 GMT 1996

Hello fellow listsurfers-

I have several variations of the watercooled VW FI systems and I'd love some
more info on them...  My assortment includes about a dozen systems ranging
from '77 Rabbit to '84 Rabbit GTI stuff (a very little Golf also).  It
appears to me that the earliest systems are completely mechanical... ie air
flow meter controls fuel pressure in the loop, excess discarded back to
tank.  What are the pro & cons of a completely mech. system esp. in a racing
app. (racing=Dirt pro-rally, hillclimb (paved & dirt), road race, autox)?
Then you've got the electronic version both w/o & w/ O2 sensor & it seems
that this is where there are some varying orifice dimensions across models &
years, both in throttle body & air flow meter (whats the proper name for
this?) How can I choose an optimum induction system diameter after engine mods?
Does anyone have a schematic of the guts of the black box - both idle
stabilzer and ignition control unit if possible?
I know I'm firing off alot of questions, but I guess my general intent is to
stir up the VW lurkers<g>!

Thanks!
and here's my vote for an excellent forum...

Regards-
Brad Martin
 '92 Subaru SVX
 '84 VW Rabbit GTI ex-PRO Rally car, now all 'round racer/beater
 '83 VW Rabbit GTI PRO Rally Car wannabe - hillclimbs too
 '81 VW Scirocco S street car TBD
 '79 VW Scirocco ice racer
====
Also, you may want to check out: