Optical Dist sensors

dn dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Tue Mar 5 04:18:20 GMT 1996

Gerald Luiz wrote:

> Right.  I was actaully trying to say that I didn't understand the coding on
> the Nissan b/c it does not have black/white patterns...just holes/slots.
> They must detect the width of the pulse (slots different widths) to mark
> 60/120 etc.  I wonder if the end of a slot corresponds to 60 deg or the
> beginning of a hole.  I expect the former.

Are the slots radial or circular?  If they are radial, they may be just
positioned every x degrees and give a pulse when they pass by the sensor.
If they are circular, it may be that they use a Gray Code scheme, which
gives a unique binary position indication for each pattern of holes.  With
this setup, there would have to be at least 3 sensors, corresponding to
3 sets of semicircular slots.  With the radial method, there would only be
1 sensor.  In either case, the sensors/light sources would be arranged in
pairs, one on each side of the disk, and where there is a hole, the light
would shine through and activate the sensor, no hole would block light and
the sensor would be off.

regards
dn

 Darrell A. Norquay              Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
 Datalog Technology Inc.         Bang: calgary!debug!dlogtech!darrell
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada        Voice: +1 (403) 243-2220
                                 Fax:   +1 (403) 243-2872
    @ +
     <
    __/    "Absolutum Obsoletum" - If it works, it's obsolete