Volumetric eff.

Bruce Bowling bowling at cebaf.gov
Tue Mar 5 22:45:10 GMT 1996

~
~ I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one Bruce. Engine Analyzer works
~ from the basic configuration of an engine (bore, stroke, valve size, nubmer of
~ valves, CR, intake runner flow coefficient, carb or TB flow rating, etc.)
~ and computes the VE. From the VE (and other parameters) it calculates torque
~ and then using RPM calculates HP.
~
~ It's fairly flexable in that it allows you to change things like intake and
~ exhaust runner lengths to see the effects that tuning will have. The people
~ who wrote Engine Analyzer claim it to be within +/- 15% of real world (i.e.,
~ dyno) results.
~
~ Mike
~ +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
~ | Michael F. Sargent   | Net: msargent at gallium.com | Phone: 1(613)721-0902 |
~ | Gallium Software Inc.|                           | FAX:   1(613)721-1278 |
~ +--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
~
~
I believe in the cost/performance ratio method of rating codes, with the ratio
being a constant.

Unless Engine Analyzer is a true airflow solver (with user-defined mesh points, etc)
and the user enters info like intake runner cross-section, inertial supercharge
index, etc, it is dealing with approximations to the real modelled system.  What are these
approximations?  Where did these approximations come from and are they generic
enough for any system modelled?  Does the writers of Engine Analyzer provide
the complete numerical algorithm?  Do they promise the +/- 15% correlation with
the real world with any engine?

A true airflow simulation would take many, many minutes to execute on a generic '386
PC (or hours).  From this fact alone I conclude that Engine Analyzer is empirical
in operation.  If it works for a particular setup, then everything is fine.
If someone held a gun to my head threatening to pull the trigger if Engine Analyzer
did not match their particular hunk, then there is a good chance I'll end up
like Kurt Cobain.

But for an $80.00 program, it out-performs something costing say $50.00.
(and since my WWW page calculations are free, they are totally untrustworthy!).

- Bruce

               Bruce A. Bowling
  Staff Scientist - Instrumentation and Controls
 The Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility
    12000 Jefferson Ave - Newport News, VA 23602
                 (804) 249-7240
                bowling at cebaf.gov
        http://devserve.cebaf.gov/~bowling