MC3334 question

Mark Boxsell mrb at mpx.com.au
Wed Mar 6 11:39:38 GMT 1996

At 09:55 AM 6/03/96 +1000, you wrote:
>Pardon my ignorance, but I am a computer programmer and my knowlege of
>analogue is _very_ limited....
>
>On the MC3334, when used to drive an MJ10012 (?) with current sense, the
>circuit diagram I have shows a .027 Ohm resistor bewteen ground and the
>MJ10012, with the sense taken from the MJ10012 side. In Tim Drury's article
>on Distributorless ignition, he gives a circuit for the ignitor which does
>not have this resistor. I am assuming the resistance is necessary for the
>current sense to work, - so what can be used to create this resistance, or
>can it really be discarded (as per Tim Drury's design)?
>
>Also, how do you pick a coil to work with this design? Most coils I have
>seen (single output) are sold with no info on resistance. Can the M3334 (when
>used with current sense) use _any_ coil? I am currently using a coil with
>a ballast resistor and would prefer not to fork out another $50 Australian
>for another coil :)
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>PS. Angle sensing using optical light/dark coding on a wheel is _really_
>dark ages stuff. Missed pulse/Long pulse detection is much better.
>At least if the sensor fails the whole system stops - what do you think
>would happen with a binary encoded wheel? Ugh! - makes me shudder!
>
>Michael Fawke
>fawkacs at ozemail.com.au

Mike,
          Most Nissan and Mitsubishi vehicles with engine management systems
use optical timing disks. (Have a look in a VL Commodore distributor). As
far as the coils go why not take your multimeter with you and measure the
damn things if you are not sure. This is DIY EFI after all.

                                regards,
                                                Mark Boxsell.