inductive vs optical

dn dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Thu Mar 7 02:31:28 GMT 1996

Jeff Hansen writes

> I have been following the "Re: inductive vs optical" thread and quadrature
> keeps coming up.  The _primary_ purpose for quadrature is to determine the
> direction of rotation. I'm pretty sure :-) that this is not important in
> this application. The _secondary_ purpose is to allow for a 4x
> multiplication of encoder resolution by using both edges of both sensors,
> this could be useful.

You're right, direction is not an issue.  But it does make sense to use
quadrature for the error checking and x4 aspects, plus quadrature encoders
are readily available.

> Don't you guys like software?

Solder is my favorite programming language :)

regards
dn

PS - please set your editor to a more manageable line length - it's hard
to read your messages.  tnx

 Darrell A. Norquay              Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
 Datalog Technology Inc.         Bang: calgary!debug!dlogtech!darrell
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada        Voice: +1 (403) 243-2220
                                 Fax:   +1 (403) 243-2872
    @ +
     <
    __/    "Absolutum Obsoletum" - If it works, it's obsolete