EFI without a lookup table

Paul E. Campbell pecampbe at mtu.edu
Mon Mar 11 15:43:22 GMT 1996

Bruno writes:
> Is it possible to have an efi computer control the engine entirely in
> closed loop? I'd like to design a ecu which does not rely on having to be
> dyno-tuned, or other ways where the engine has to run at different loads,
> speeds, etc.

Yes. It's called an "adaptive algorithm" but it requires more CPU power than
simple table lookups.

BUT you will have to at least temporarily run open loop during warmup until
your O2 sensor is functioning (unless you want to buy a sensor with a 4 digit
price tag).

> The rationale behind this is I want to be able to design the computer,
> plug it in, and control the engine from day one. I understand that there
> are more things to consider, what they are exactly are slowly coming to me.

What you might also consider is if you came up with a generic map that would
at least get the vehicle started, it could then do map updates and slowly
tune itself. This is along the lines I've been thinking of.

> When using a hall effect sensor, what is the material that the metal vane
> that passes through the gap made of? Iron or aluminium?

Has to be ferrous. So aluminum is out.