volumetric efficiency

atsakiri at ford.com atsakiri at ford.com
Mon Mar 11 17:32:41 GMT 1996

> How can vol. eff. be greater than 1?

A non-boosted engine can still have a volumetric efficiency
greater than one.  A highly tuned induction system can produce
manifold pressure pulsations (at some engine speeds) which
are higher than ambient pressure and which occur when
the intake valve is open.  Since volumetric efficiency is usually
calculated using ambient pressure as the reference, the result
ends up being greater than one.

It's possible, but I don't think common.

Anthony Tsakiris