DIY FI facts

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Tue Mar 12 01:27:53 GMT 1996

At 02:01 PM 3/8/96 -0800, Jerry Wills  wrote:

>If you believe that did-it-yourself EFI and daily driver go together
without needing
>TLC before your oil changes, I believe your dreaming. The factories go way
beyond the
>reasonable testing to get the bugs out of production cars.  We have the
advantage that
>many parts we will use to build 'our' systems, are already factory
qualified, but the
>Auto enviroment/specs are worse than the mil specs ,in many cases. I would
be proud
>if the system I put together, could just meet mil spec.
>
>I have tried to turn projects (like mech T.J. FI on a lotus)into daily
drivers, and
>found that I was always looking over my shoulder.
>			Jerry Wills
==========
I almost agree with you 100% on this one Jerry.
But...

I've been driving an up-graded '58 Chevy truck for ten years. I depend on it
for everyday transportation (170 +miles/week) and she seldom lets me down
(can't say that about some of the women in my life :). The only thing that's
original is a few body parts. The main thing that I've learned about
modifying auto machinery (FI, brakes, body, chassis, or what ever), is to
know at what level to start D_I_Y_ing at.  Have you ever herd of a "do it
your self" person try to cast their own engine block or smelt their own
alloys? My philosophy is, "when in question, see what the OEM uses and adapt
it to your application". In most cases, not all, the OEM knows best. They've
got better toys and have been playing with them much longer than most of us
have. Occasionally, we (D_Y_I_ers) can slip up on something original.

I don't know about you guys, but I do it strictly for fun.  Keep the D_I_Y
mentality alive! BTW, this is comming from a guy who is building a car...
from scratch :-()

GMD