EGT for mixture setting

Darrell Norquay dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Tue Mar 12 06:17:07 GMT 1996

Ed Hernandez wrote:

> A very conservative method would be to tune A/F for the same EGT at
> WOT across the rpm range. A more aggressive approach would be to tune
> A/F for a shallow but constant rising slope vs rpm. There are lots of
> ideas as to a maximum EGT which you shouldn't exceed. Some like to
> use about 1800 F on dyno, but that's pretty short term. I love it when
> the exhaust glows red!

Does the EGT sensor have to be close to the head?  The reason I ask is
that I have headers, and the only practical place to mount EGT's would be
in the collectors.  I assume that the temperatures would be somewhat
reduced, but still proportional(?)

How does the mixture affect EGT?  Do lean mixtures produce lower or higher
temps than rich ones?

Can you determine if you are at stoich with this method (with any accuracy)?
Is there a linear relationship between EGT and AFR or is it a complex
function?

Is this a practical/effective/reliable way to adjust mixture?  Is it only
useful at WOT, or does it maintain some validity at all throttle settings?

What other factors affect EGT?

regards
dn

 Darrell A. Norquay              Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
 Datalog Technology Inc.         Bang: calgary!debug!dlogtech!darrell
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada        Voice: +1 (403) 243-2220
                                 Fax:   +1 (403) 243-2872
    @ +
     <
    __/    "Absolutum Obsoletum" - If it works, it's obsolete