Suzuki Swift GTi Twincam 1.3 (87)

Jens Knickmeyer knick at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Wed Mar 13 11:51:51 GMT 1996

<Michael Fawke> wrote:

> The GTI will gain absolutely _nothing_ from a chip change. In australia,
> several of the companies in the 'chipping' market have got their fingers
> burnt on GTI's by claiming up to 10Kw improvements. The biggest gain found
> (by independant testing) was from advancing the ignition timing 2 degrees,
> and it only gave couple of Kw above 7000rpm. The GTI engine is probably the
> most highly tuned (as standard) car engine you will ever find.
> Michael Fawke
> fawkacs at ozemail.com.au

I do not know for the Australian market, but ASAIK, the US GTi engines
have a bit less power than the German engines, so that chip tuning could
possibly give you 10kW in addition.
Anyway, I agree with Michael: always be careful with chip tuning. There
are good (and rather expensive) kits, and there is a LOT of crap available,
esp. for supercharged engines. For my car (Polo-G40), there are kits which
ruin the engine quite soon, so that I prefer to stay away from them.

Just _my_ opinion...

Jens