UEGO sensor

Darrell Norquay dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Thu Mar 14 04:33:34 GMT 1996

> Anyone know other sources for sensor and/or schmatics for linearizing
> electronics????

About 4 years ago, we ran across a family of sensors manufactured by GTE
Labs.  Among the several flavors was an oxygen gas sensor.  The model
number was MGS-2000, and it measured 0-100% oxygen (equivalent AFR 0-40).
The unit looks like a standard automotive O2 sensor, but with 6 leads.

The sensor was developed in conjunction with Waukesha for their stationary
engines, what they called the Waukesha Lean Burn Control System.  It
operates on an electrochemical pumping principle, using zirconia ceramics.
It's output is a linear function of oxygen concentration.  Unlike an
automotive sensor, it does not require a reference gas port (air bleed),
and you simply calibrate it in air to read 21% O2.  I don't know if this
was ever made into a commercial product, or how much it costs, but it could
be worth looking into.

The sensor has a heater (2 leads), a type K thermocouple for measuring
internal temperature (2 leads), and the output, which is a current.
Not too difficult to interface to, we actually got a sample of one of these
to play with, but it was a different style which was optimised for reading
methane gas.  It didn't suit our application, but I still have it kicking
around somewhere.  At the time, I wasn't into EFI, so I didn't pursue it
further.

The address is:

GTE Laboratories
40 Sylvan Road
Waltham, Ma 02254
617-466-4123       ,
Contact: Joseph Cote

As I said, this was a few years ago, so I don't know if the phone # / contact
name is still valid.  If anyone looks into this, keep us posted...

regards
dn

 Darrell A. Norquay              Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
 Datalog Technology Inc.         Bang: calgary!debug!dlogtech!darrell
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada        Voice: +1 (403) 243-2220
                                 Fax:   +1 (403) 243-2872
    @ +
     <
    __/    "Absolutum Obsoletum" - If it works, it's obsolete