No Subject

WERNER_HAUSSMANN at HP-Loveland-om2.om.hp.com WERNER_HAUSSMANN at HP-Loveland-om2.om.hp.com
Fri Mar 15 15:51:35 GMT 1996

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text
Hi James

The L-Jetronic uses an air meter with a flap.  Yes it is restrictive. My
original plan was to get this system going.  Put in the fuel delivery
system, get the injector(s) working and just prove the feasabilty.  Then I
was going to move up to the fancy $1800 Electromotive TEC II system.  It
uses a Mass Air Flow meter.

Anyway the L-jetronic seems to work well enough to satisfy me, but I am
still itching to add a turbo, and for that I want to control the ignition
and will probably need the Electomotive system.

A later Bosch system called the LH-Jetronic was digital and used a MAF
meter.  This was used in the '80s on Volvo up to '88. The L series Bosch
systems are very nice because they are so easy to adapt.  They only use the
ingnition coil signal.  No fancy crank sensors are needed.

Anyway the problem for hot rodders are that these systems were used mainly
in relatively small engines except for Jaguar, BMW and the like.  And for
the price of those in a junk yard, you might as well use Electromotive
systems.

The L-Jetronics uses only the air meter signal (air temperature and Air
flow, together they give air volume), the water temperature and the
ignition (rpm and crank position) to calculate Fuel.  Trottle position is
not used except to enrich at 2/3 trottle and to cut out the fuel above 1500
rpm when at closed trottle. This is actually very accurate and very simple.

The air meter gives out a voltage that changes logorithmically with the air
flow. It also has a thermistor for air temperature.

To use the L-Jetronic system You will have to find a car with about the
same size engine as the one you want to adapt.  This is most likely to be
your biggest obstacle.  Of course you could run two systems, one on each
side of a V8.  How big an engine are you using anyway?

My suggestion is that you should try to get something working, and then
keep working to make it better. You can always try to get started with the
Holley trottle body.  Used ones are often for sale by someone who has
upgraded.  This way you will get the basics in place like the fuel
delivery, the high pressure pump, etc.

For more information get the Probst book on Bosch systems.

Good Luck
Werner