Off topic, but related subject matter...

Mark Boxsell mrb at mpx.com.au
Thu Mar 28 11:06:18 GMT 1996

At 06:43 PM 27/03/96 -0800, you wrote:

>         I've heard rumours that a company somewhere had developed a system
>that replaces camshafts with computer controlled solenoids to actuate the
>valve train. Has anyone here heard the same, or know a logical point to
>start searching from? From a performance standpoint, one could program a
>limitless variety of "virtual camshaft" profiles, like Honda's VTEC, or any
>of the available variable valve timing schemes. Only more so, as one is not
>limited to 2 profiles.
>        That's the gist of my question. Thank you in advance for any
>information that any of the subscribers to this list might provide.
>
>                        Thanx,
>                         Terry

Terry,
          Renault developed a system using pneumatics. However what most people
don't understand is that they are replacing the valve springs with "air
bags" NOT ACTUATING
THE VALVES. To my knowledge all current F1 engines have pneumatic valve trains.
This is why they are able to pull the massive rpm they use.

                regards,
                                Mark Boxsell
                                MRB Design.