Multispark stuff and other thoughts

Johnny allnight at everett.net
Thu Mar 28 12:46:21 GMT 1996

Clinton L. Corbin : Backgrind/Gold : Pager 0544 wrote:

> As an aside to this, there has been a lot of bandwidth spent on the
> subject of one coil per cylinder.  To tell you the truth, I do not see
> any advantage of one coil per cylinder over one coil per two cylinders.
> The exception being extremly high RPM (10000+) motors.  The proposals to
> date have all involved much extra hardware and software complexity to
> impliment.  What justifies this?  (Don't take that wrong.  I do not see
> how it is justified and I was wondering how the folks who are for it see
> things)  I must give it one thing:  It looks really sharp!  Not to mention
> you can put the coil almost right on the plug to minimise RF emisions and
> power lose to the plug.  But anyway, were's the beef?

Some engines cams have too much overlap to get away with firing on the
exhaust stroke. I admit, it has to be a total crackler before you will
run into this problem, but it has been done. As far as the short leads
to the plug goes, the coolest by far is to have the coil mount/attach
directly to the end of the plug... no wire as such. There isn't always
enough room physically to do this, but it can be achieved. Actually,
integral plug/coils are an ancient thing from some pre-1930's aircraft
engines. Where did we get off the track?

-j-