Off topic, but related subject matter...

Seth Allen n9540517 at gonzo.cc.wwu.edu
Thu Mar 28 17:11:28 GMT 1996

On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Terry Faugno wrote:

> Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 18:43:50 -0800 (PST)
> From: Terry Faugno <tfaugno at qualcomm.com>
> To: DIY_EFI at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Off topic, but related subject matter...
>
>         First off, introductions. My name is Terry Faugno. I work in San
> Diego, California at a company called Qualcomm Inc. We researched,
> developed, and are now marketing digital cellular telephony equipment. My
> interest in DIY EFI is based on a passion for performance, and a love of
> tinkering.
>         My ultimate goal is to find a Porsche 911/912 or 944 or a 924,
> install either a Buick 231 V6 or a small block Chevy engine, and fabricate a
> SMPI fuel delivery system, super or turbocharger, and, as you'll read below,
> a constantly variable valvetrain system. My desire is to see how much
> horsepower can be derived from a smallish engine (300 CID maximum), without
> sacrificing engine longevity. I selected the Porsche body(ies) as it has an
> inbuilt capability for high performance, and they're quite stylish to boot.
>
>         Now the off-topic, but related post mentioned in the subject header:
>
>          I've heard rumours that a company somewhere had developed a system
> that replaces camshafts with computer controlled solenoids to actuate the
> valve train. Has anyone here heard the same, or know a logical point to
> start searching from? From a performance standpoint, one could program a
> limitless variety of "virtual camshaft" profiles, like Honda's VTEC, or any
> of the available variable valve timing schemes. Only more so, as one is not
> limited to 2 profiles.
>         That's the gist of my question. Thank you in advance for any
> information that any of the subscribers to this list might provide.
>
>                         Thanx,
>                          Terry

Yep, Aura systems has an EVA system but it's a prototype.  Electronic
valve actuation, kind of like a subwoofer driver with coilspring assist.
But is is still being developed, we (WWU) couldn't get one for a
university research project, so it is probably a while before you can get
one..... Looks promising though..

Seth Allen

Bellingham, WA