Pneumatic Valve Actuators

Jerry Wills jwills at ISI.EDU
Thu Mar 28 21:27:32 GMT 1996

RAB> All modern F1 engines use pneumatic valve actuators.  This, of
RAB> course, requires an air compressor on board, and some very fast,
RAB> high-precision pneumatic valvegear. This allows them to vary the
RAB> timing profiles and turn 16 to 18 thousand RPM and make
RAB> rediculous amounts of power.  Expect to pay half a million
RAB> dollars to adapt your current engine, though.  Pushrods and
RAB> rocker arms are good for 8500-9000 RPM and overhead cams up to 12
RAB> or 14 thousand, if properly designed.  I would stick to one of
RAB> these conventional technologies.

then there is the desmo system with openers and closers, Ducati motorcycle
use them and their current rpm limit 13.500 rpm, and its from piston
speed, not valve gear.  The valves are ~30mm in size.

RAB> As for solenoid or electro-hydraulic actuation, they have both
RAB> been done.  The real problem here, though, is the vast amount of
RAB> energy required by the electrical circuts to power them at high
RAB> RPM.

and the reliability

			Jerry Wills
I'll have enough POWER when I can spin the tires at the end of the straight!
89 FJ DERSLYR,           DoD#500 KotF(Flag)       Mark Donahue, about 917's
USC/Information Sciences Institute  (USC/ISI)  SoCal (310) 822-1511 x 236
90's cowboys, ride iron horses, and punch Deer!!!
You done violated Physics, BOY!    Assume the position..... (Rider 5/92)