attachment questions

Frank Mallory Frank_Mallory at srs.blkcat.com
Fri Mar 29 02:43:06 GMT 1996

 d> Thanks Will, I got your attached file in the following format.
 d>----------------------------------------------------------------------
 d>------
 d>------------
 d>The following is an attached File item from cc:Mail.  It contains
 d>eight bit information which had to be encoded to insure successful
 d>trans-
 d>mission through various mail systems.  To decode the file use the
 d>UUDECODE
 d>program.
 d>--------------------------------- Cut Here
 d>---------------------------------
 d>begin 644 serset.exe
 d>M35IP 0X 7  9 "8$)J3$ 0!   !%!P  '    +,   #(    S0   -(   #D
 d>M    Z0   .X      0  !0$   H!   = 0  (@$  "<!   V 0  5 $  %D!
M  !> 0  @P$  )8!  "@ 0  TP$  .T!   / @  *P(  #4"  !- @  5P(
 d>M )@"  "N @  LP(  +@"  #' @  X@(  .<"  #L @  , ,  $4#  !* P

 d>Blah blah blah....

 d>What or where can I find UUDECODE? I take it, you are using cc-Mail?
 d>Is the attached file an executable file?

There's a PD program UUEXE... floating around; I have it on this BBS, if you
would care to go to the trouble of downloading it or obtaining it via Fidonet
file request. But I'me sure you can find it on any of the large FTP servers.

I've gone to the trouble of applying UUDECODE or MIME to some of these messages
and found that what you get out of it is a message in WordPerfect or some other
word processor format. So unless you have the appropriate word processor, you
can't read it even after going to the trouble of decoding it. For the life of
Ime, I can't figure out why they don't simply output their message in ASCII and
save everybody the trouble.