off topic but interesting

john carroll jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us
Fri Mar 29 04:12:56 GMT 1996

The discussion of propane and cng fueled engines
reminds me of a fleet of Peterbuilt log haulers
that use propane introduced into the induction
system to replace some of the diesel.  The concept
could be useful to others.

The system works as follows.  Advancing the pedal
first causes propane vapor to be introduced to the
air stream, increasing power.  The diesel injectors
introduce fuel at a low level and provide ignition
source and timing.  As the pedal is advanced, more
and more propane is added.  At the point where the
fuel vapor displaces so much air as to destroy the
economic and mechanical efficiency of the hybrid,
the call for additional power increases diesel and
reduces propane until, at maximum power, the engine
runs entirely on diesel.  It may be that transition
takes place at a point where the propane/air
mixture is still sufficiently lean that dentonation
is not a problem,

They claim that over all and particularly at
mid-power operation, there is a net benefit.

The value of the system is certainly a function of
the relative cost of diesel and propane.  Does any
one think the propane was taxed?  I believe they
run a kiln on propane as well.  I am certain the
systems are commercial, but I have no idea of the
source.

The most exciting corollary of this system that I
have observed was when a diesel powered drill rig
hit a natural gas tranmission line at about six
feet.  Every one abandoned ship without hitting the
fuel cut off and the engine ran away as the engine
began inducing gas along with air. A brave soul
(the owner) went back and shut the fuel off before
the engine came apart or a fire started.

jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us
john carroll