Independent cylinder knock control

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Fri Mar 29 17:52:55 GMT 1996

> I've heard of the J&S system - it sounded great and if not for my DFI....
> Currently I use a GM sensor hooked into my DFI. I was told to mount it on
> the HEAD (!) and am pretty sure I'm getting false knock from the
> valvetrain. The sensor uses a small box from GM between it and the
> computer. I've seen monitoring boxes for turbo GNs and would love to adapt
> one for my system. Anyone have any ideas? I just want to know when it's
> thinking it sees knock without having to use my laptop. I've done some
> electronics work but it's been years and most of the little bit of design
> knowledge I had has drained away.. TIA!

The mounting on the head is a very bad idea. Use the stock GM location
on the bottom of block near oil pan rail. The gm box is a crude bandpass
filter and works poorly-gives alot of false retard. A number of companies
sell a monitor which appear to be a stock gm sensor connected to simple
dc meter thru a diode.
Frank Parker