Pneumatic Valve Springs !

Corey Cole colec at pr.erau.edu
Sun Mar 31 21:18:24 GMT 1996

On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, TAR wrote:

> What about valve float at 'higher' rpm's? I realize the pneumatic system
> probably has less inertia than metal springs, but I still can't see how
> they could effectively curb this problem without some type of Desmo system
> (like that used on Ducati's).  Any insight?

The pneumatic system has essentially no mass compared to metal springs.
Plus you can use an ultra high spring rate without having to worry about
how you are physically going to make that spring rate happen in the
limited space available.  And where they are used, you don't have to
worry about breaking a spring (however, I'd like to see a pneumatic
system in production cars <grin>.)  Finally, you don't have to worry
about resonant frequencies like you do with metal springs.

 Corey Cole					colec at pr.erau.edu
 '65 Skylark
"Knowledge is power...but cubic inches help."		Go #24!!!!!

I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison
and I went to pick her up in the rain.
But before I could get to the station in my pick up truck,
she got runned over by the darned old train...
						David Allen Coe
						Steve Goodman