Variable cam timing again

Bruno! u933234 at student.canberra.edu.au
Wed May 8 16:33:54 GMT 1996

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your ideas on this topic. A couple of you pointed out that
duration at high rpm would be a limiting factor to the overall
performance.

So what I thought about was again with the synchro idea - the phase of the
two would be controlled by computer, what could happen is that if the cam
duration is set to be optimised in the low rpw range, when it goes into
the higher rpm range, the valve opening time could be extended by altering
the amount of slip in the two motors. what essentially happens here is
that the cam gear is not spinning at a constant speed, rather varying
sinusoidally. Relative to the speed of the crank, if the cam gear is
rotating slower, the valve is opened for longer. when the valve is
supposed to be closed, the motors controlling the cams could then speed
them up, setting the timing straight again.

There would not be a sudden jump from one engine mode (such as selecting
from two cam profiles mechanically, such as in a vtec type system), i.e. the
sinusoidal control could come on gradually.

		Bruno.  (u933234 at student.canberra.edu.au)

    "A sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie, but I wouldn't know cos I
                    don't eat the filthy muthaf***a"