search

Cal Smith cal at Rt66.com
Thu May 9 15:45:30 GMT 1996

Steve Asked about Simple Digital Systems:

        (403)274-0154 in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. For me, their's is the
system to beat. Some would complain that their system is too limited at 8
bits. Compared to the complexity of correctly setting up the tables of a 16
or 32 bit system, the SDS unit is _much_ easier to tune and the difference
in output between SDS and say, Electromotive or TEC or MOTEC is minimal;
probably insignificant for our purposes (no one here is doing a DIY-F1,
right? :-)  ).
        Granted, I'm not an expert at _making_ my own EFI ECU. I have
researched the commercial units pretty heavily, though. For <$1000 U.S. you
get everything, including software and a great in-cockpit controller that
lets you make adjustments in real-time and gives you major function
readouts in real-time: manifold pressure, coolant temperature, ignition
advance (including knock-retard), rpm (every 250rpm), and intake air
temperature. The system can run open- or closed-loop. Yes, you can do
staged injectors, which seems to be the thread du-jour. :-)
        You can't do the really trick stuff like traction control, etc. but
you do get one hell of an EFI/Ignition system. Rather than explain it any
further, why don't you call the number and order the info packet. They
should include the installation/setup manual and it makes for a pretty good
EFI read in and of itself.
        Not to knock the list but SDS has given me a lot more information
and answered a lot more questions for me than did the members of this list
when I asked for help (save it be for the advice offered by James
Weiler--Thanks James!).

Cal Smith