Variable cam timing

Jerry Wills jwills at ISI.EDU
Fri May 10 18:40:20 GMT 1996

Ed wrote plenty, we just need to put the pieces together.

Here's my 2 cents

I've read a couple of SAE papers on "Valve Events", one on the 2.2
dodge turbo motor, and the other was from volvo or saab. these
papers had pumping loop diagrams and tried different IVO,IVC,EVO
and EVC, with varied RPM and only a few of these events make the
BIG difference , and only within a certain range.

I've always liked the "Rhoads Lifter" for you old pharts, which
is a hydraulic lifter with to much bleed at low speed, they are
noisy, but it works, to reduce lift and overlap at lower rpms.

Production tolerances, noise and possible valve-to-piston connection
was intimated as the reason the factory has shelved it.

My first thought is for DOHC motors is electric motors to run the
separate cams and you could phase, all you like. Might be a power
problem, but this is DIY. and alternators put out lots a current
these days, at some cost in power.

any sort of clutch or slipper for phasing will need some good stops
so the valve-to-valve or valve-to-piston events are very difficult
to create.

The production tolerance problem is hard for me to quantify, as the
tolerances have gotten much better in motors in the last 5-10 years
, but you can still blueprint motors, so we should be able to build
a few parts to a high tolerance, for a project. I think Ed was
referring to the solenoid lifter, in this case.

Food for thought,
			Jerry Wills
I'll have enough POWER when I can spin the tires at the end of the straight!
89 FJ DERSLYR,           DoD#500 KotF(Flag)       Mark Donahue, about 917's
USC/Information Sciences Institute  (USC/ISI)  SoCal (310) 822-1511 x 236
90's cowboys, ride iron horses, and punch Deer!!!
You done violated Physics, BOY!    Assume the position..... (Rider 5/92)