Variable Cam Timing....

Paul Beam paul at jbc.edu
Mon May 13 17:35:58 GMT 1996

At 11:47 AM 5/13/96 EDT, you wrote:
>Paul Beam wrote:
>
>> You would have to have one on both the cam and the crank.  Slipping the
>> crank would counteract slipping the cam.
>

>Maybe I've been lurking too long, but *HOW* can you advance the cam if you
>use two clutches?  The crank is the driving member, and de-coupling anywhere
>in the drive train would still retard the cam timing further.

OK.  So I'm not a genius.  However, it might be possible that when the valve
train is released may be important -- i.e. that there are times within a
cycle where the tendency of the cam is to "run away" from the crank.  Some
sort of centrifugal arrangement may also work with a spring that pulls the
cam back when the engine decelerates.

I would think that motors and gears would be far too complex to actually
work reliably.

R Paul Beam
Computer Systems Engineer
Johnson Bible College