New List Subscriber

David Piper dapiper at one.net
Thu May 16 03:20:40 GMT 1996

>While I am a better than average mechanic and am well versed in the theory
>and simulation of CONTINUOUS control systems, I have little experience in
>synthesizing these systems in practice and even less in digital
>electronics.  In other words, I know all about it but can't do anything
>with it cause I don't know how- yet.  I am fairly certain where my
>deficiencies lie however.  I need to become familiar with
>programming/interfacing/using micro controller units, I don't know how to
>do this right now.  I need to become familiar with the nuts-and-bolts of
>BUILDING digital control systems.  My problem is that I don't know where to
>start.  Can anybody recommend any books that might get me started here?

I got started with Radio Shack construction projects.  Get Forest Mims lab
books and start breadboarding.  You will need a scope eventually, and a freq
counter and synthesizer but you can build these last two which will teach
you alot.  Get some of the electronics magazines and start reading up and
experimenting.  Once you have a good basic understanding you will probably
come to the same conclusion I did that its cheaper in the long run to buy a
commercial EFI system.  Back in '87, I had over $900 in chips and hardware
while attempting to modify an analog ECU, but I learned a lot.  There is a
lot more literature available now, and a lot more custom chips.  Why don't
you try to adapt a stock system from a similar motor?

TurboDave
Less Maintenance, More Performance.