Forwarded: Re: a/f ratio with LPG

RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au
Fri May 17 01:14:44 GMT 1996

The heated EGO sensor is heated to enable closed loop A/F ratio
control sooner after cold start-up since the Zirconium Dioxide element
doesn't start working until about 300_C.  The sensor does measure
oxygen concentration.

Once operational, the difference between heated and conventional
sensors is not very much at all (heated sensors are supposed give a
more stable output).

(If it were confused with NOx and CO to any significant degree, then
they would be absolutely useless in automotive applications where CO
and NOx vary from nearly nothing to a whole heap)

Andrew Rabbitt
Orbital Engine Company

From: ("Paul E. Campbell") pecampbe at mtu.edu:smtp
Date: ## 05/16/96 10:13 ##
> I was wondering if it is possible to use a normal (i.e petrol) O2 sensor
> when running a car on LPG, as opposed to unleaded fuel.

If it is a heated sensor (and most aren't), then yes. If not..you have to get
it up to temperature before it works.

Also as far as I know, those suckers don't actually measure oxygen. They
measure ion concentrations of CO2 and they are also confused by NOx and CO.