Bosch ECU Schematic for 1981 BMW 528i

michael glidewell glide at shore.net
Wed May 22 16:27:23 GMT 1996

At 03:34 PM 5/19/96 -0700, you wrote:

>Michael Glidewell wrote:
>>I wonder if it would be possible to turn the L-jet into a multiport
>>injection system by firing each injector individually and possibly
>improve>the city fuel consumption (its 12+ mpg).
>
>    I think you mean "sequential" (vs. batch-fire). It is multiport.
>
>    I'm not sure about your '81 2.8, but the late 70's 3.0 (i.e. 530i)
>had horrible gas mileage because the emission control system was a
>thermal reactor, not a catalyst. A thermoreactor requires about a
>10-15% overrich mixture so that the exhaust is rich enough to burn.
>Also the timing must be retarded to get a hot exhaust. These two
>factors guarantee lousy mileage...
>-Charles
>('81 745i)

CHarles:

Your'e right - I am interested in sequential firing vs multiport. Maybe
sequential will improve the smoothness or idle..

Fortunately I do not a thermal reactor.  I used to get 18mpg in LA and now
in Mass I get maybe 11-12 mpg. Dealer says the HC, CO are perfect and thats
what I should expect for city driving. I still don't believe. But I will
change my driving habits a bit and see if that makes much of a difference.

thanks for your help.
Michael Glidewell       Boston, Massachusetts	glide at shore.net
KE1CP     BMW 528i      BMWCCA 		http://www.shore.net/~glide/