Question...Timing of fuel delivery

R. Larson morganti at inetnow.com
Sun Nov 3 03:37:03 GMT 1996

>For a winter project, I plan to build a digital EFI/Ignition for my
>motorcycle.  What is the ideal (if there is such a thing) time for the
>fuel to be injected into the intake runner?  Should fuel only be injected
>while the air in the respective runner is moving?

I am also iinterested in doing this.  I have already done some research into
this but my particular application might not be as usefull to you as could
be.  My bike is a Harley and therefore uses one carberator and manifold for
both cylinders.  My unit is beeing based on a Multi-port fuel injection
where all injectors are fired with each spark pulse.  Since I have a two
cylinder engine, each injector is fired for 1/2 gas charge so that there is
a full charge for every two rotations.  I have been informed that at RPMs
above idle, the air never gets a chance to actually stop in the manifold and
although it is not as perfectly timed as having it pulse when the intake
vale opens, it degrades only slightly at low speeds.  To get the pulse timed
with the intake valve would probably need a flywheel position sensor.  Also
my unit would not control spark timing since there are many aftermarket
units which allow full timing curves so my system would be in conjuction
with theirs.

I would like to hear what kind of bike yours is and how detailed the FI is
going to be.

Thanks for your post.