Need help with Mazda EFI.

Stephen Dubovsky dubovsky at vt.edu
Wed Nov 6 21:42:58 GMT 1996

At 01:44 PM 11/6/96 -0500, you wrote:
>I recently cracked open the ECU on my 1987 (non Turbo) RX-7 to repair a
>fault in the bypass air control valve circuit, and in the process somehow
>disabled the ignition system (I think).  I have tested the computer in the
>car and the readings for ignition look normal, but I am pretty sure that I
>am getting no spark (and I know that fuel is working because I smelled
>unburned fuel after the first time I tried to start it (extended cranking).
>This confuses me a bit since I didn't touch the drive electronics for that,
>but such is life.

  Funny, when I had an 88 non turbo RX-7, I would get no spark when the air
cleaner/housing was off.  Cranked for a long time (w/ jumper cables), gave
up on it and put the cleaner back on, and it started right up.  Couldn't
find a bypass switch anywhere, but something was going on to prevent the
machine from going.  Doubt this helps, but it may indicate there are several
things the ecu checks before allowing the engine to start.  If anything like
this is the case, I would be interested.
SMD
--
Stephen Dubovsky
dubovsky at vt.edu