O2 Sensor Open/Close Loop

RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au
Fri Nov 8 01:16:40 GMT 1996

>My ECM is in closed loop mode at idle and part throttle. At wide open
>throttle is goes into open loop mode ( it stops reading the O2 sensor
>

>WHY?

The reason that closed-loop A/F ratio control was introduced was
almost entirely emissions control related.  Three-way catalytic
conversion only operates in an extremely narrow A/F window.  This is
because you are oxidising HC and CO (so you need excess O2 or another
oxidising agent) and reducing NOx (so you need a reducing agent)
simultaneously.

The only point where you can get this to happen is at stoich A/F, or
more correctly by perturbating the A/F around stoich.

When you go to WOT, no one seems to care how much junk comes out of
the exhaust, therefore emissions control is thrown out the window and
the calibration goes rich for best power.  You never see WOT in a
emissions drive cycle (to date), therefore it doesn't impact on the
emissions certification.

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find a production car with a EGO but
no TWC, they go hand in hand.  It has next to nothing to do with fuel
consumption since you want to go lean to improve this.

Andrew Rabbitt