O2 Sensor Open/Close Loop

RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au RABBITT_Andrew at mv8.orbeng.com.au
Tue Nov 12 04:30:32 GMT 1996

> The target A/F ratio during WOT can varry from engine to engine.

this is true, but not in the way you suggest below,

>More specifically, it is related to fuel pressure, fuel injector
>nozzle design, and injector location.

this is not true. inasmuch as the effects of these variables are quite
small to the point of being negligible.

>The objective is to deliver the correct amount of fuel in fine
>particles to the combustion chamber.  So theoredically, if all the
>fuel was vaporized, you would not need a WOT enrichment.

this is also not true.  I get the idea you've confused WOT A/F with
acceleration enrichment.  WOT is usually richer than stoich because
this produces best power for thermodynamic reasons.  Acceleration
enrichment (which also happens at part load) is to maintain the
setpoint A/F by compensating for manifold wetting effects due to
changing manifold pressures.

>Therefore, on multi port fuel injection systems with higher
>pressures, the WOT A/F is very close to stoichiometric.  In fact,
>some newer vehicles (1996) do not go to open loop during WOT!

given the above, I find this (very) hard to believe, however if you
can quote sources, I'd be interested.

Andrew Rabbitt
Orbital Engine Company
Perth, Australia.