drivers and sensors

SRavet at bangate.compaq.com SRavet at bangate.compaq.com
Tue Nov 12 16:09:45 GMT 1996

"S. Lastuka" <kicker at u.washington.edu> Wrote:

| I am a student at the University of Washington and I am on a team
| designing a fuel injection system for a Formula SAE car.  We are
currently
| programming a 68hc11 and are looking into buying the other components
that
| will be needed for our system.  We are trying to find a place that sells
| injector drivers (peak and hold).  We have heard that Cherry Electronics
| sells these drivers but we are having some trouble getting a phone number
| for Cherry.  If anyone knows of a place that sells drivers we would
| appreciate some information ie phone number, price, address.  Thank you,
|
| Sean Lastuka

Here's the info from the EFI reference list that I maintain.  I've been
trying to post it and the efi-332 parts list (to the other list...) but
they don't go through.  Maybe one of the list-admin types can give me a
hand here...

Parts -- Injectors and Injector Drivers
CS-452 and CS-453 -- Cherry
Peak and hold fuel injector driver.  4 amp or 2.5 amp peak, then 4:1
reduction in current.  Available from Electromotive.

HGTP14N40F3VL -- Harris
IGBT Coil/Injector Driver.

HGTP14N36G3VL - Same at 14N40... but 360 Volt rating, and added resistor
from the gate to the emitter, may be the same for all intents...

HGTP20N35G3VL - 20 Amp rated, 350 volt clamp, same as above, different
ratings.

L584 -- SGS-Thomson?
You can build a complete driver circuit with one L584 (DIP16), two
darlingtons
and a few resistors and capacitors. The L584 can be set up to use one of
four
diffrent load current waveshapes, including peak-hold-drop and peak-drop.

L9335 -- SGS-Thompson
SGS Thomson sells the L9335 and L9336 Injector Drivers.  The former is a
2.4
amp / 0.6 amp peak/hold, and the latter is a 4 amp / 1 amp peak/hold.  The
pinout looks the same as the Motorola MC3484S2-2 and MC3484S4-2.  Cherry
Semiconductor also sells the part (CS-452 and CS-453).
The L584 is still in production from SGS - they are not easy to get hold of
though, I typically get quoted 25-40 week lead times. This is a very
flexible
chip though and because it works in switch mode the darlingtons don't
dissipate
much heat (about 1/4 that of LM1949 design). It will produce some RFI
because
the inductor (injector) is switched fairly fast and is on the end of a long
piece of wire (aerial). This solution allows any peak/hold ratio to be
implemented. The chip costs about 2.50 (pounds Sterling) in 25 off.

LM1949 -Nat'l Semi
Injector Drive Controller.  Beware - this chip does not operate as a
switch mode controller and so the darlington dissipates a lot of heat!
It does allow for a low part count solution but fixes the ratio of peak
to hold current to 4.

MC3484-S4 -- Motorola (discontinued)
This part is the same as the Cherry CS-452 and CS-453

MC33293 -- Motorola
Note that the 33293 is NOT peak and hold. It's a quad driver intended
for high impedence injectors.

HIP0081 -- Harris
This chip is functionally equivalent to the MC33293, ie. quad current
limiting driver with serial diagnostics interface.

MGP20N40CL -- Motorola
The Motorola MGP20N40CL is a nice IGBT for ignition coil drive.
It has internal clamping diodes for voltage protection (400V)
and can handle 20 amps.  In practice, with peak coil currents
of 10A, it only needs a small heat sink.  You can drive it directly
from a 5V CMOS output.

15 lb/hr injectors high impedance
  87 to 92 Ford LTD, Mercury Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town car have 14
  ohm 15 pound injectors.

15 lb/hr injectors low impedance
  I don't know the year, but the Ford Escort with a 1.6l engine has the
  2.4 ohm 15 pound injectors.

19 lb/hr
  Mustang 5.0l

22 lb/hr
  Chevy 305 tpi

24 lb/hr
  GM 350 tpi

35 lb/hr
  Mustang SVO turbo.

Steve Ravet
sravet at bangate.compaq.com
Baby you're a genius when it comes to cooking up some chili sauce...